A seasonal spectacle as grand as the country’s magical autumn, spring in Korea awakens the landscape from its winter slumber with a Korean cherry blossom flourish all the way down to the country’s southern-most point—Jeju Island, Korea. But the Korean cherry blossom spring gifts are not the only you’ll find on the beloved island of Jeju, Korea (known locally as Jeju-do or Cheju-do). Beyond the Korean cherry blossom trees you’ll find throughout Jeju Island, the vibrant yellow canola flower fields will also catch your spring-sparkled eyes! After teaching English abroad on the “Hawaii of Korea” for a few years, we’ve learned some of the best things to do in Jeju Island, Korea to take full advantage of the spring season’s colorful beauty. And if you’re looking to explore spring in Korea elsewhere, check out when and where to see the Korean cherry blossoms throughout the season!
With turquoise waters, mild Jeju Island weather, and striking black volcanic cliffs, Jeju, Korea is already one of the best places to visit in South Korea. In fact, the route from Seoul to Jeju Island and back is the busiest commercial flight route in the world. Any time of year you’ll find a ton of things to do in Jeju Island, Korea, from the O’Sulloc green tea fields, glorious beaches such as Sagye Beach or something more off-the-beaten-track like this Jeju Korea Hidden Beach, or even the tallest point of South Korea, Hallasan Mountain. But the spring season on Jeju, South Korea, in particular, brings a special tone of warmth and color to the wonderland isle.
Our suggestions for the top spring things to do in Jeju Island, Korea, will take you across the volcanic island from the very first Korean cherry blossom bursts in the country to shockingly yellow flower fields with ocean views. We’ll also tell you how to get around Jeju to these special Jeju Island points of interest! So grab your travel day bag, arrange some flowers in your hair, and get ready to do Jeju Island in spring the right way.
Here are our top spring things to do in Jeju Island, Korea!
How to Get Around Jeju
We’ve listed the Jeju bus routes you can use to get to each of the spring Jeju Island points of interest below. However, we highly recommend renting a car as Jeju Island is quite big, and the bus can be slow and tedious (it can take up to 2 hours to go from one side of the island to the other when taking the bus). Find the cheapest Jeju rental cars!
Canola Flower Plaza (유채 꽃 플라자)
All these photographs were taken on our Canon 80D, Canon Rebel, or DJI Phantom. Check out Best Budget Travel Cameras to Improve Your Travel Photography and Traveling with a Drone for more info!
- 1 Stroll Through Hallim Park
- 2 Wander Through Jeju Island Canola Fields
- 3 Noksan-ro: Canola and Cherry Blossom Road
- 4 Mount Sanbangsan Canola Fields
- 5 Udo Island
- 6 See the Korean Cherry Blossom Trees on Jeju Island
- 7 Jeju National University
- 8 Halla Arboretum
- 9 Jeju High School Cherry Blossoms
- 10 Like this post?
- 11 You Might Also Appreciate…
- 12 Any other suggestions for things to do in Jeju Island, Korea?
Stroll Through Hallim Park
Located in northwestern Jeju’s Hallim-ri town and close to the famous Hyeopjae Beach, Hallim Park spreads several themed areas across 100,000 square meter, making it a perfect option for spring things to do in Jeju Island, Korea. During spring in Korea, the warm Jeju Island weather brings to life many different kinds of flowers, notably Korean cherry blossom blooms and vividly yellow canola flowers. With its scenic gardens and water features, Hallim Park is one of the top things to do in Jeju Island, Korea to enjoy the spring. At Hallim Park, visitors can wander through paths drawn through canola fields beneath heavenly white Korean cherry blossom blooms. Early April is the best time to see the Korean cherry blossom flowers with the canola flowers at Hallim Park.
Another reason Hallim Park has made our list of top spring things to do in Jeju Island, Korea are its beautiful orchids! In May, Hallim Park holds an exhibition of over 100 varieties of calanthe orchids. Also not to be missed is the Jeju Stone and Bonsai Garden at Hallim Park, which showcases Jeju Island’s rough lava rock with lovely bonsai trees.
Cost, Hours, and Location of Hallim Park, Jeju Island
- Cost: Adults: 11,000 won Children: 7,000 won Teen: 8,000 won Senior: 6,000 won
- Hours for March—September: 8:30—19:00
- Address: 300, Hallim-ro, Hallim-eup, Jeju-si, Jeju-do
- Phone: 82-64-796-0001
How to Get to Hallim Park
- From Jeju Intercity Bus Terminal, take a westbound 702 bus to the Hallim Park stop (1 hr 24 min). Every 15-20 minutes between 5:40 AM and 9:05 PM.
- From Seogwipo Intercity Bus Terminal, take a westbound 702 bus to the Hallim Park stop (1 hr 40 min), every 15-20 minutes.
Wander Through Jeju Island Canola Fields
In spring, Jeju Island, Korea jumps alive with its famed yellow canola fields. Fields can be found all around the island’s countryside and visiting them are certainly one of the top things to do in Jeju Island, South Korea to take advantage of the lovely spring season. You’ll find the magnificently saturated flower fields across the island, but here are some of the best Jeju Island canola field sites.
Noksan-ro: Canola and Cherry Blossom Road
A chance to witness the perfect spring marriage of blushing pink Korean cherry blossom trees and strikingly yellow canola bushes, a visit to the fantastical Noksan-ro road is one of the top things to do in Jeju Island, Korea for the spring. This road between the Jungseok Aviation Pavilion and Daechon-dong is lined on both sides with billowy rows and rows of canola flowers and Korean cherry blossom trees. Between late March and early April, it makes for a spectacular sight when the Korean cherry blossom flowers come to life. A well-known place to view both Korean cherry blossoms and canola flowers simultaneously, Noksan-ro can get quite busy, so it’s best to come early to try to beat the traffic and crowds.
Noksan-ro is also the location of a gigantic canola flower field at the Canola Flower Plaza (유채 꽃 플라자), said to be one of the biggest on Jeju Island. Noksan-ro and the Canola Flower Plaza are the site of the annual Jeju Canola Festival in early April. Wandering the meandering paths through the field, you really can appreciate its vast size! Enjoy the views of the flower field with towering windmills nearby and long-reaching views over the Jeju Island countryside.
Location of Noksan-ro, Jeju Island
- Address: Noksan-ro, Gasi-ri, Pyoseon-myeon, Seogwipo-si (제주 서귀포시 표선면 녹산로 )
- Canola Flower Plaza Address: 464-65 Noksan-ro, Pyeoseon-myeon, Seogwipo-si, Jeju (제주 서귀포시 표선면 녹산로 464-65)
How to Get to Noksan-ro, Jeju Island
Driving is the best and most direct way to get to Noksan-ro. Take Beonyeong-ro (97) to Noksan-ro. You can take the 720 bus from Jeju or Seogwipo intercity bus terminal and get off at the Pyoseon-ri stop. From there, take a cab to Noksan-ro.
Mount Sanbangsan Canola Fields
Fields of canola flowers with the stunning dome-shaped Mount Sanbangsan in the background are iconic of Jeju Island, South Korea—and if you’re in the area, you could also visit the magnificent Jeju beach of Sagye Beach nearby, or find this hidden Jeju beach. From mid-March through April, the fields around the town of Andeok-myeon in southwestern Jeju Island burst to life in a blaze of yellow canola blooms. A few small fields can be found near the Sanbangsan bus stop, where you can pay a small fee to pose in the fields. Simply venture a little further afield, though, and you can find much larger fields to enjoy the beautiful views of Sanbangsan. Just watch out for bees!
Cost and Location of Canola Fields near Sanbangsan
- Cost: Some fields charge 1000 won to enter.
- Address: 218-10, Sanbang-ro, Andeok-myeon, Seogwipo-si, Jeju-do
제주특별자치도 서귀포시 안덕면 산방로 218-10 (안덕면)
How to Get to Mount Sanbangsan
From Jeju Intercity Bus Terminal: Take the 750-1 bus to the Sanbangsan stop (1 hr 25 minute ride).
From Seogwipo Intercity Bus Terminal: Take a westbound 702 bus to Sanbangsan stop (52 minute ride).
The fields are located a little down the hill from Mount Sanbangsan. You’ll see them from the bus just before the stop.
You can get a feel of Sanbangsan (and it’s nearby Jeju Hidden Beach) in our video below!
The small island of Udo off the eastern shore of Jeju Island, South Korea is a prime spot with tons of spring things to do in Jeju Island. A white coral beach on Udo may just be the best Jeju beach you’ll visit during your trip to Jeju Island, South Korea! Further, the spring Jeju Island weather transforms Udo’s fields into a patchwork of green and yellow canola bursts, crisscrossed by Jeju Island’s trademark stone walls. Take in vast views of Hallasan Mountain and Jeju’s coast from Udo while you ride a bike or ATV around the island. The ferry to Udo is also quite close to Sunrise Peak, or Seongsan Ilchulbong, a 100,000-year-old volcanic crater and UNESCO World Heritage Site.
How to Get to Udo
- From Jeju Intercity Bus Terminal: take bus 710 to Seongsan Harbor (every 20 minutes). Take the ferry to U-do from the ferry terminal. The ferry runs on the hour and half hour between 7:30 AM and 6 PM.
- From Seogwipo, take the 701 bus to Seongsan Harbor.
See the Korean Cherry Blossom Trees on Jeju Island
Located at the southernmost part of South Korea, Jeju Island is home to the earliest Korean cherry blossom blooms in the country. The blossoms on Jeju, said to be among the most beautiful in Korea, are called “king cherry blossoms” in Korean, famed for their size and splendor. Visiting these Korean cherry blossom spots will be some of the best things to do in Jeju Island for the spring!
Jeju National University
The road leading to Jeju National University, a popular spot to view Korean cherry blossoms, is one of the 2 sites of the annual Jeju Cherry Blossom festival in early April. The other spot is on Jeonnong-ro in the old part of Jeju City, South Korea near Jeju City Hall.
How to Get to Jeju National University
- From Jeju Intercity Bus Terminal: Take the 31 or 502 bus to Jeju National University stop (35 minute ride).
- From Seogwipo Intercity Bus Terminal: Take the 782 or 782-1 bus to the Jeju National University stop (1 hour 18 minute ride).
Address: 102, Jejudaehang-ro, Jeju-si, Jeju-do (제주특별자치도 제주시 제주대학로 102)
Halla Arboretum, up the hill from Shin-Jeju (New Jeju City, South Korea) is home to a dense concentration of Korean cherry blossom trees and other trees, plants, and flowers that all bloom to life in spring. We also listed the Halla Arboretum as one of our top Korean Cherry Blossom Sites in Jeju City—make sure to check out those post for more details of our experience!
Walk the numerous paths through the arboretum and be surrounded by all the fluffy Korean cherry blossom blooms! The road to Halla Arboretum is also lined with Korean cherry blossom trees, which bloom beautifully in early April. It’s popular to take photos standing under the trees while in the middle of the street, but watch out for traffic and tour buses as the arboretum can get quite busy on the weekends. Best visited early in the morning or during the week to avoid crowds.
How to Get to Halla Arboretum:
- From Jeju Intercity Bus Terminal: Take the 740 (37 minute ride) or 70 (48 minute ride) bus to the Halla Arboretum stop.
- From Seogwipo: Take the 800 bus to Jeju Jeil High School stop and then transfer to the 46, 51, 70, or 95 buses (total time 1 hour, 13 minute ride).
Cost and Location of Halla Arboretum
- Cost: Halla Arboretum is free of charge.
- Address: 72 Sumogwon-gil, Yeon-dong, Jeju-si, Jeju-do (제주특별자치도 제주시 수목원길 72)
Jeju High School Cherry Blossoms
Jeju High School is certainly a lesser-known spot to view Jeju cherry blossoms, known only to locals of Jeju City, South Korea. Like the Halla Arboretum, we also consider Jeju High School one of the best Korean Cherry Blossom Sites in Jeju City, especially since it is so off-the-beaten track.
Many walkways and roads throughout the school campus are lined with beautiful blossoming trees, and, best of all, almost no tourists come here, unlike many other Jeju Island spring spots.
If you want to visit the high school, you’ll have to go on a weekend, as you can’t really visit during school hours! Enjoy a lovely picnic under the cherry trees while watching children play baseball and chase bubbles.
How to get to Jeju High School
- From Jeju Intercity Bus Terminal: take the 740 bus (30 minute ride) or the 17 bus (39 minute ride) to the Jeju High School stop. There are 2 bus stops for Jeju High School. The second bus stop is closer to the actual high school, so you should get off at that stop.
- From Seogwipo Intercity Bus Terminal: Take the 800 bus to Jeju Jeil High School stop and transfer to the 46, 51, 70, 92, or 95 bus (total time 1 hour, 6 minute ride)
Location of Jeju High School
- Address: 607 Nohyeong-dong, Jeju-si, Jeju-do (제주 제주시 1100로 3213 )
From fields of canola flowers to picturesque Korean cherry blossom rows, spring is one of the most beautiful times on Jeju Island. With our suggestions for the top things to do in Jeju Island, Korea to enjoy to spring, you’ll find your way into floral wonderlands in no time at all. And since the Korean cherry blossom blooms come to Jeju Island before anywhere else in Korea, the island is one of the best places to visit in South Korea during the early spring!
Like this post?
Share it on Pinterest by hovering over one of the pictures below and clicking the red “Pin It” button!
You Might Also Appreciate…
More Jeju Posts
- Craft Beer on Jeju Island, South Korea: Inside the Brewery Tour at Magpie Brewing Co.
- Sagye Beach, South Korea: Best Beach in Jeju Island for a Mt. Sanbangsan View
- At the Foot of Sunrise Peak: Yellow Submarine Guesthouse on Jeju Island
- Spring in Korea: 2 Korean Cherry Blossom Sites in Jeju City
- The Fun (& Wet?) Side of Teaching English Abroad
- O’Sulloc Tea Museum and Green Tea Fields: Jeju Island, South Korea
- Hallasan Mountain: The Ultimate Guide to Hiking South Korea’s Tallest Mountain
- Sand, Sea, and Jeju-Si: Iho Beach on Jeju Island, South Korea
- (Shark?!) for the Soul: Willala Fish and Chips on Jeju Island
- The Jeju Island Winter That Shut Down the “Hawaii of Korea”
- The Zesty Truth of Jeju Tangerine Picking: Jeju Island, South Korea
- Essential Cameras for Every Traveler
- What I’ve Learned from Traveling to 25 Countries
- Travel Hack: Do a Cheap Flight Search Like a Pro
- Best Travel Drone Bag: Backpacking with a DJI Phantom
Any other suggestions for things to do in Jeju Island, Korea?
Tell us about your favorite!